Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Mozart and the Whale: a review



Have you ever felt like you teeter on the line of social inadequacy? Sometimes I feel like I live on that line. Like everybody else belongs to some club that I haven't yet found my way to and might not want to even if I had directions. I have trouble looking people directly in the eye when I speak to them if I don't know them well. I sometimes lack the simple ability to make small talk and more times than not I'm a little less frilly in my speach than is generally accepted.
Thats pretty much what this movie is about and I have to say I did enjoy it. Granted these people have a higher degree of social akwardness and are clinically diagnosed as such, my simple blunt terms would just say that they are just like most people without the crap.
Two people with Aspergers syndrome (a mild form of Autism) find a home in each other that they cannot find with the vast majority of people they've encountered in life. Donald has an fascination and talent for numbers and Isabelle an artistic streak and the inability to hold back her thoughts. Both belong to a support group for Autistic adults which Donald began. The group sees Donald as a "god" both socially in comparison to them and compassionately as their leader. Never-the-less, they are family and in their own anti social, emotionally distant ways are always there for each other. There is alot of humanity in this movie and short of the unfortunate insinuation of pre-marital sex, it's innocent and interesting.
Hubby and I found alot of similarities in the couple's issues to our own. He was messy, she was a little neurotic. She wanted a home and nice things and he worried about how they were going to pay for it all.

... like most people without the crap. They didn't mess around with small talk and insignificant formalities. They weren't swayed by particularities in personality or honesty and in the end they dealt with the issues that we all do.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Mrs. Stout!

    I sent you an e-mail on Oct. 6 wishing a happy bday, but it was returned to me and I was sad.... I usually get one from you on Oct. 7, but, again, no e-mail...
    So I finally decided to google you and, lo and behold, I find this great blog tonight that I did not know existed! I've read through much of it, although I still have further back in time to go. My 2 favorite posts are hubby waking you up in the middle of the night to tell you about recording sound on a Mac and the post where he tells you that you order fast food incorrectly. :-) No, it's all great and I'm glad to have found you again. I'm sorry about your grandfather's passing and congratulations on finding the job. Anyway, I have much more to tell you and this isn't a "comment" about your movie review, so we'll have to catch up via e-mail. But keep up the good work on the blog. It is great and you now have one more reader (for a grand total of 3, I think?) :-) Merry Christmas, Happy belated New Year and give my best to the Dustmeister. I still have NO idea what kind of music you all like and or play (other than the Van Morrisson song you danced to at the reception).

    P.S. Have you told people on this blog that you are in a published book on young Catholics?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, we are proud of our famous Amy :)

    And you know, I really think that everyone feels that way! We all consider ourselves socially awkward!

    Miss you!

    Speaking of Van... is there any way you could send me that song? The CD I had it on is corrupted. Maybe the illegality of copying things is catching up with me. ha.

    ReplyDelete