Saturday, March 04, 2006

Prayer, Fasting, and cheap fish

March 4th, 2006

I was driving to my study session this morning and I saw something that did a tiny little tap dance on my last nerve. In fact, this is a pet peeve of mine every Lenten season and I've been quiet long enough! Just when you think the world has no clue of the liturgical seasons....Lent comes around and every fast food joint in sight just so happens to have a new/improved/or just plain cheap special on fish. It's not just any fish either, it's the square kind.



Now, you're Catholic, it's friday and you're trying to figure out what to eat for lunch. If every day you have a super chicken value meal, does it really affect you on the sacraficial level to trade the meat that barely passes for chicken for something that squarely passes for fish? I think not. I"m not judging mind you. I'm not perfect and I myself almost sat down to a nice heaping bowl of chicken tortilla soup on Friday. I'm just saying people! Do you think McDonalds REALLY cares about your lenten obligation?

Yeah, so thats my rant today. Did I mention one of my Lenten promises was to be more charitable. We'll put an X by that one today.

In other news I saw the movie Nanny McPhee tonight and it was delightful, not to mention filled with cute kids. Immediately after watching it I called my fiancee and asked him if it were ok if we had 7 british children. He agreed though he found it difficult to understand how two people from the deep south would accoplish such a thing.

In other other news, it looks like I gave up the right things for Lent. Why? you ask. Because I find myself wanting those things all day long. We're barely 4 days in and I'm so weak. Lord have mercy! Please pray for me. The daily Mass thing is going swimmingly though and so far I've been able to receive the grace to get there every day. Praise God.

That reminds me...I need to say night prayer.

Adieu world wide web of people who don't read my blog. Tomorrow is another day.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous12:23 AM

    Funny, I always have the opposite reaction when I see the fish specials at fast food places and find fish suddenly on sale at the grocery store. I think, "How nice that they are offering an alternative." It gives me a warm fuzzy feeling that there are other Catholics in the world choking down bad fish just like me! :-)

    ReplyDelete