Friday, March 31, 2006

strolling, gum and NO comments

It's Friday so I'm gonna give my usual lengthy, heavy-weighted posts a breather, and just throw a couple random thoughts at ya.

1. GUM
a. why is it that the new packs of gum (you know the one's in the slide out square little packs) have packaging inside that crinkles when you push the gum out? Is it special material to keep the gum fresh? If so, why don't the traditional packs (where the gum is wrapped in paper) have it? Or is it so that the pack will make a distinct noise and train our ears (pavlov's dog) to the sound of a pack of gum being opened so that we'll want more and buy more?
b. why is it that when I chew minty flavored gum drinking cold water is unbearably cold? (I know some genius science person knows the answer to that one)

2. STROLLING
As I was walking back home from Mass this morning I found myself on the sidewalk behind an elderly lady. She was walking particularly slow and I didnt want to be rude and pass her up so I slowed down myself. Then I noticed that she wasn't walking slow because she was unable to walk faster. She was strolling. Taking in the air, the flowers, the beautiful weather.
I never stroll. I'm always in a hurry, even if there's not much need to be. So I decided to make a conscious effort to stroll today. I did pretty well but I had to keep reminding myself because, like I said, it just doesn't come naturally to me. I noticed lots of things that I don't usually notice by strolling. I noticed that there is a peculiar tree outside the student center that bends so much that it requires chains to hold it up. The leaves are beautiful and they cascade over the side like curtains but the little tree can't hold the weight. Very Sad, the chains, not the tree.
I noticed that when the weather is nice, everyone looks happier. And most of all I noticed (as the old lady probably already knew) that strolling is contagious.

3. NO Comments....

I put a counter on the bottom of my page out of curiosity. I wanted to see how many times my one faithful reader clicked on the page everyday. Come to find out, one faithful reader must not actually have a day job. The page has been clicked on over a hundred times in the last few days. Subtracting the 98 or so times that I click on it leads me to only one conclusion....there must be atleast two faithful readers...
Just for fun, if you are reading this right now leave a comment in the comment box, preferably answering my gum conundrums, or just saying hey....it's me...anonymous faithful reader number 2.

For me?

8 comments:

  1. hey, I'm faithful reader #2 :)
    About the gum thing, I dunno about the cold water/mint gum conundrum but the crackly noise thing is from our modern need to have everything individually wrapped... it just makes us feel safer about what we're putting in our mouths, the flimsy paper wrapper from of old just isn't good enuf. So the crackly noise is from the plastic bubble that protects the gum... I guess...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:46 AM

    Just found you, since someone (maybe you) click on the Amateur Catholics blogroll link for me. Here comes faithfull reader #3.

    Congratulations on being asked to become godmother and in really getting it. I am godfather to one of my nieces and I take it very seriously. It almost pains me now when I attend baptisms with godparents who have no clue what they've signed up for (and are set up to fail).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uh oh...here it comes...faithful reader #4! I love reading your entries! They always make me smile during the humdrum-ness of my work day =) The only bad thing about it is realizing that you will be leaving in a short time and it would have been such a blessing to spend more time with you. But be assured of my continued prayers! +JMJ+ Sista Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Faithful reader #5!

    How do you do the counter thing?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Check you out! All these faithful readers here for roll call!

    (role call? I see it spelled that way, but I think that's wrong)

    Anyway, I just discovered you but will now be a faithful reader.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, and I've often wondered about the gum water thingy too!

    ReplyDelete